Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Scam of Reality Television


When I think of reality television, the primary show that pops into my head is Jersey Shore. Back in the glory days of high school I used to feast on the crap that is shown on MTV. Freshmen and sophomore year, I couldn’t wait for “JersDay.” I wanted to be Pauly D and Vinny. I wanted to tan and look like someone out of a Muscle & Fitness magazine. The more I watched the show, the more I realized that these people live the life of gods. Sure they sometimes don’t get along, but they get paid to party! My conception of reality was that somewhere people actually can maintain a functioning lifestyle of these “celebrities” that I idolized. I soon began to wonder that if this show is in fact reality, then why isn’t my life so magnificent to where I can get paid to drink, go to clubs, and have sex? “Reality television” is merely an expression used to twist the image that people have of life. No one actually lives as the stars of Jersey Shore do, and the sooner the men and women of our generation realize this, the better. I am merely using this show as an example because I became so infatuated with the Jersey Shore lifestyle. All reality television shows are using this same lie to keep the money flowing. Keeping up with the Kardashians and The Bachelor all use this concept of reality to maintain the mindset that people actually live their lives like this. The only “real” part of reality television is the money that the producers make from scripting the show. The shows are in fact interesting which is why they’re so much fun to watch. If the producer didn’t spice up the show, then no one would give the show another chance. It would be boring and quite ordinary, just like the lives of every other citizen. “Reality television” is a scam.

No comments:

Post a Comment